The farm is from Kullamaa parish in the early 19th C. The buildings were brought to the museum in 1959-1960 and opened to visitors in 1964. The threshing house and storehouse burned in 1984. The restored farm was re-opened at the museum in 1993.
Sassi-Jaani farm is the museum’s introductory, instructional farm. The permanent exhibition on barn-dwellings introduced Estonians’ farm architecture and the distinctive peasant house, the barn-dwelling (reheelamu). The threshing floor has examples of various roof types, log corners and a mock-up of a barn-dwelling. In the storehouses, Estonians’ principal household implements are featured, ranging from dishes to handicraft tools. The coach-house contains agricultural implements, while the cattle-shed highlights animal husbandry. Historical crops can be found growing on the model field.More
Did you know?
- According to a popular legend, the founder of Sassi-Jaani farm Suur-Jüri carried the millstones that ended up being the foundations for the threshing room gate on his own back. He is said to have broken a young birch on to which he strung the mill-stones, and put his sons at the other end as a counterweight as he hefted the yoke on to his shoulders.
- According to archive data, the first farmer to run the farm was Mart, which is how it got the name Sassi-Mardi farm.
- According to the 1803 farm records, the farm had two horses, two oxen, two cows, three bull calves and one foal.
- Sassi-Mardi farm was a “three-day farm,” which had to perform 300 days of corvee labour for the manor each year, half of them harness days and half foot days. In addition, the farm had to provide grain and hay as a court tax; and sheep, chicken, eggs, straw, hops and other produce, grain reserves from which peasants could borrow, hay and oats and pay a poll tax of 480 kopecks.
20.06.2021 at 11:00 Dance performances of the Folklore Society Leigarid More about event