This average-sized Viru County farm was purchased from the owners of Mäetaguse manor for 4,000 silver roubles in 1892. The farm had 44 ha of land, including 13 ha of fields.
Similarly to what people did elsewhere in Viru County, the family of Härjapea farm earned money to raise the amount payable and to build the new dwelling by selling their produce on Saint Petersburg markets. The dwelling constructed during the Empire era was later modernised, and the rooms show people’s life at the end of 1930s. The orchard and flower beds are also characteristic of the household culture of the first Republic of Estonia. The farm homestead features the outbuildings of Kutsari farm dating back to the end of the 19th century and the stone threshing floor of a ruined barn-dwelling, so the composite name of ‘Kutsari- Härjapea’ is also in use. The sauna is located farther away at the pond.More
Did you know?
- Härjapea dwelling has been furnished after the memories of tis former owners, and even wallpapers in the rooms are replicas of the ones used back then. Natives of the Viru County, the Orro family lived on Härjapea farm until the middle of 1970s.
- At the end of 1930s, Härjapea farm had the only clean cowshed in Võide village and a two-storey building that combined a pigsty, a henhouse, and a fodder kitchen.
- Härjapea got electricity supply in the second half of 1950s.
- Johannes Orro (1894–1970) from Härjapea farm served in the Border Guard Service of the Republic of Estonia until getting the rank of major and owned a bakery and several cafés in Tallinn. He was friends with artist Ants Laikmaa and sculptor Johannes Raudsepp: buildings connected to these two men have also found their way to the Estonian Open Air Museum (Sassi-Jaani farm and Rusi farm).
- In 1936, President K. Päts initiated a home decoration campaign, which gave many farms new faces within a short period of time: dwellings were weatherboarded and painted, rooms were refurnished, outbuildings were fixed up, and orchards and flower gardens were planted.