Nuki smokehouse is an example of the yard of a poorer inhabitant of western Estonia on the periphery of the farm. Built in 1880-1890 at the former site of the Nuki cotter in Saunja village in Lääne-Nigula parish. Brought to the museum in 1970, erected from 1970-1971.
Nuki farm tells the tale of the cottagers who had little or no land. They were forced to work as day labourers on manors and farms, digging ditches, and doing handicrafts.More
Did you know?
- Helene Notton, born 1892, lived in a house without a chimney built by her parents, who had worked at Räägu estate, until 1970. The interior of the house remained mostly unchanged throughout the years. In 1970 the house was given to the museum along with furniture and household utencils. As of now, Nuki is the only farm in the museum that looks exactly the same as it looked at the original location.
- At the museum Nuki farm is freqently occupied by housewives, who skillfully demonstrate different handicraft techniques.