Jaagu farm

from the turn of the 20th C

Jaagu farm was a homestead that was apportioned from a larger state manor to a soldier who had retired from the tsarist army. It had 9 hectares of land, of which 2 hectares was fields.

Such smallholders often earned their keep on the mainland doing seasonal labour, especially in construction. As well-regarded stonemasons, they erected buildings both on farms and manors and in the cities of Tallinn and Riga. They built their own buildings with love and care as well. In the winters, income was earned through handicrafts: women wove textiles, embroidered and sewed, while the men did logging and carpentry work.

The farm was opened at the museum in 1976.

More
1 – barn-dwelling, 2 – storehouse, 3 – hay shed

Did you know?

  • The small farms were established in 1841 on the basis of new regulations for the governance of state manors and an 1859 regulation instruction, which pledged to divide the state manors’ reserve lands to peasants and retired soldiers.
  • Working on the mainland brought in more liquid assets, which larger agriculture-orientated farms often lacked. Thus small households had more store-bought and manufactured goods – such as the sewing machine at Jaagu farm.
  • As there was little forest on Muhu Island, peat was used for heating – it was harvested from the mires on Muhu and Saaremaa Islands.