Kuie school was situated in Järva-Jaani parish, Kuie commune. The school building was completed in 1887. With the assistance of the founders of the Rocca al Mare school it was relocated and rebuilt in the museum in 1999, and the opening ceremony took place on 1 September 2000. From this day on it's been a home for museum's educational center.
After the commune reform of 1866, when decision-making rights concerning school life were given to farm owners, but manors were to provide the land and materials for building schools, numerous schools were built in Estonia. Kuie commune too felt that the old building constructed in 1842 was not enough anymore. On the territory of Kooli farm premises allocated by the manor (around 20 ha), the commune constructed rather a splendid school building. The standard public facility design recommended in the Russian Empire was followed.More
Did you know?
- The school building with a threshing floor built in Vajangu in 1842 on Kuie manor owner’s initiative became one of the first school buildings in Järva County.
- According to the Schools Act of 1867, one school per 300 adults had to be provided. The teacher was to hold a document proving his qualification.
- Schools often served as commune offices, and teachers were commune clerks. Such schools housed lock-up to keep parents who prevented their children from going to school, bud could not pay the fine.
- Upon a decision made by the court consisting of commune farm owners, if a child skipped school, parents were to pay a fine of 5 kopecks for each day missed by a child who had to go to school daily and 10 kopecks for each day missed by a ‘revising’ student.
- The Kuie school ledger also displays grades given in 1882: 0 stood for ‘knows nothing’, 1 for ‘knows barely a thing’, 2 for ‘poor’, 3 for ‘average’, 4 for ‘good’ and 5 for ‘very good’.
06.11.2016 at 11:00 Preparations for St. Martin's Day More about event