Rusi farm from Võru County holds a special place in the museum display. All farmyard buildings except for the new storehouse were brought from Ala-Rusi farm in Pugritsa village, Karula parish, which has a strong connection with the history of Estonian art. Namely, this was the place where the famous sculptor Juhan Raudsepp (1896–1984) who was then known as Juku from Rusi grew up on the farm of his mother’s parents. Ala-Rusi was a farm with around 36 hectares of land and two horses, separated from the older large Mäe-Rusi farm for the family’s son upon his marriage. Ala-Rusi buildings were brought over in 1967, and the farmyard was opened for visitors in 2002.More
Did you know?
- The descendants of the family named Tuwikene since 1826 consider peasant Johann of Russi from Kaagjärve manor, born in 1700, to be their ancestor.
- Mäe-Rusi and Ala-Rusi farms concluded a joint 5555 rouble purchase contract with the manor in 1880s. This farm divided approximately in halves was officially measured and separated only around 1900.
- The landmark of the farm and its surroundings was the ‘pine with a tuft’ on top of a hill which was believed to have been planted during the Swedish rule. One had to make the sign of the cross when passing by the pine. Sacrifices of beads, coins and belts were also brought to the tree. One of new settlers who did not know how important the tree was and cut it down around 1953 got a terminal disease.
- The most famous works by Juhan Raudsepa are two allegoric sculptures on the façade of Tallinn Art Hall, the ‘Girl with a Dish’ in the Towers Square and the ‘Stick Breaker’ in Haapsalu, depicting a man breaking a walking stick that he does not need after getting well.